Organ and Tissue Donation
There is a difference between organ donation for research and donation for transplant. Tissue donation for research assists the field of medicine in the effort to understand disease and improve treatments. Tissue donation for transplant can help a living person overcome a specific organ failure.
Donation of entire bodies for research:
- Your local Medical School is always in need of whole bodies for anatomy instruction. Unfortunately, bodies that have been previously autopsied or have had specific tissue removed for donation or research, are not generally acceptable for the instructional purpose.
For more information contact the nearest Medical School Anatomy Department.
Brain donation for research:
In addition to brain only autopsies for families by our board certified neuropathologists, PSS also works with many researchers in North America. We can match families interested in brain donation with research organizations that focus on the families’ area of concern. Research organizations are in need of the following types of human brains.
- Normal Many researchers need normal (without pathology) human brains to complete their studies. Normal brains are important research tools because they can be used in comparison studies.
- Bipolar (manic-depressive) Many researchers need human brains with this clinical diagnosis. Some will even share in the cost of retrieval, preparation and shipping.
- Schizophrenia Many researchers need human brains with this clinical diagnosis. Some will even share in the cost of retrieval, preparation and shipping.
- Dementia—Alzheimer’s Although there are many types of dementia, Alzheimer’s is the most common diagnosis and is the most commonly researched. Most Alzheimer’s researchers are only interested in cases that have been followed by their clinicians prior to the patient’s death. There are a few researchers who will accept Alzheimer’s cases that have not been followed in their clinics; however, they may not share in the cost of retrieval, preparation and shipping.
- Dementia other than Alzheimer’s Research is conducted on many different types of dementia. PSS may be able to match a researcher with specific interests that compare with the concerns of your family.
Tissue and Organ donation for transplant
PSS does not organize tissue and organ donation for transplant. If you need information on transplant donations, please contact the following organizations:
Link to organizations that promote and support tissue and organ donation. Donate Life